Election 2011 - Steelworkers Vote
Steelworkers Vote is up and running for the 2011 federal election. News, resources, videos, downloadable leaflets and more.
This federal election is an important one for Steelworkers. After the worst economic crisis in a generation, the government is on the wrong path. Stephen Harper and the Conservatives just don't get it. We have 1.5 million unemployed in Canada. It's time to invest in jobs, not corporate tax cuts. It's time to elect MPs we can count on.
The United Steelworkers is a long-time supporter of the New Democratic Party. As Steelworkers, we are partisan in our politics because working arm-in-arm with a political party that shares our goals is the best way to pass laws and achieve governance that responds to the needs of workers. Electing more New Democrat MPs gives our union a strong political partner in Ottawa.
Below are resources, links and ideas for Steelworkers who want to get involved in the 2011 federal election.
Steelworkers: We Put Workers First When We Vote.
Steelworkers Vote is an active and ongoing campaign of the United Steelworkers engaging USW members in political action during and between elections.
Articles and News Releases
- May 2011 Historic NDP Breakthrough! Message from Ken Neumann, USW National Director
- April 2011 Election Message from Ken Neumann, USW National Director
- 11 April 2011 NDP Platform Leadership You Can Trust To Give Your Family A Break
- 8 April 2011 Canada.com Steelworker to Harper: "What about the jobs at U.S. Steel?"
- 8 April 2011 YouTube Video Steelworker Interrupts Harper Hamilton Rally
- 22 March 2011 USW Media Release Conservative Budget Fails to Meet Needs of Canadians
- Steelworkers Vote Leaflet
- Federal Election How-To Guide
- Find your NDP candidate and campaign
- What You Can Do
- Canadian Labour Congress Working Families Leaflet
- Voting - Identification and Advance Polls
- Voting Hours on May 2
Report Cards and Issue Sheets: USW Issues for the Federal Election 2011
- Canadians Want A Leader Who Puts Them First
- Steelworkers and the NDP: Working Together on Issues That Matter
- Report Card on the Issues
- Jobs and Affordability
- Women's Equality
- Health Care
- Oil Sands and Good Green Jobs
MP and Activist Profiles
- Churchill MP Niki Ashton, A Crusader Against Vale
- Acadie-Bathurst MP Yvon Godin, A Steelworker in Parliament
- Burnaby-New Westminster MP Peter Julian, A Fighter for Canadian Workers
- Hamilton Mountain MP Chris Charlton, A Champion of Working Families
- Activist Trena Legge
- Activist John Gagnon
- Activist Cory Szczepanski
- Activist Kathy Cornish