Tell your MP that you oppose Private Member's Bill C-377, An Act to Amend the Income Tax Act (requirements for labour organizations).
Sponsored by Conservative MP Russ Hiebert, Bill C-377 is an attack on unions in Canada under the guise of transparency and accountability.
Along with the Canadian Labour Congress (CLC), the United Steelworkers opposes Bill C-377. The NDP has been speaking out against Bill C-377 and is working hard to defeat it.
Unions are democratic and transparent organizations that already report regularly to our membership. Bill C-377 is onerous, intrusive, costly and infringes on Canadians' freedom of expression and freedom of association.
The bill singles out labour organizations and does not apply to any other dues-deducting professional organizations.
The bill is being supported by anti-union organizations such as the Fraser Institute and the Canadian Federation of Independent Business so they can use the information to undermine and discredit labour organizations.
Oppose Bill C-377 by sending an email to your MP. You can also sign NDP Labour Critic Alexandre Boulerice's petition against Bill C-377.
- 28 November 2012 Toronto Star Bill C-377 and the Right's Stealth Attack on Union Funding, by Thomas Walkom
- 29 November 2012 Canadian Labour Congress Costs of Russ Hiebert's Anti-Union Bill Mounting
- 29 November 2012 rabble.ca Bill C-377: Costs, Constitutional Concerns Raised in Opposition to Legislation Targeting Unions
- 12 November 2012 Straight Goods News Private Member's Bill Attacks Unions, Middle-Class Incomes
- 2 November 2012 Video Bill C-377 is Not About Transparency