The USW Wood Council was formed in a merger when the Executive of the IWA selected the United Steelworkers and negotiated a merger that took effect on September 1, 2004. A critical part of the merger negotiations was the creation of the Steelworkers – IWA Council, representing and coordinating the interests of the former IWA local unions in the areas of safety and health, collective bargaining, organizing and political action. By 2006 the IWA Council adopted the moniker "Wood Council."
- 4 September 2012 Out Front This Week USW Calls For Action On Safety Failures; Western Forest Products, West Fraser Profitable; Local 1-405 Members Hold Off On Strike
- 7 August 2012 Out Front This Week Canfor Pulp CEO Steps Down; Western Forest Products Appoints New President; Local 1-405 Members Poised To Go On Strike
- 8 April 2012 Out Front This Week Steelworkers Take Raw-Log Concerns to Port Alberni; West Fraser Top Lumber Producer in 2011; February Housing Starts Are Down
- 2 March 2015 Former WorkSafeBC Head not slated to testify at Coroner’s Inquest Two of the former top guns at WorkSafeBC are not scheduled to testify at a coroner’s inquest into the Lakeland Mills sawmill explosion that killed two workers in 2012.
- 22 January 2015 | Courier-Islander Campbell River Chances workers back to work with pay increase, signing bonus Workers at Chances in Campbell River are going back to work.
- 1 May 2014 Press Release - USW Local 1-1937 The Officers, Staff and Executive Board of USW Local 1-1937 are shocked by the tragic shooting of four people at Western Forest Products' Nanaimo Sawmill, two of which have succumbed to their injuries.
- 26 February 2013 | YouTube Why On Earth A Wood House? Video telling about the world's best building material... which is wood of course.
- 28 April 2010 | YouTube Steelworkers - In It For Life 2010 National Policy Conference: Documenting the USW’s well-earned reputation as the health and safety union and our never-ending battle to protect workers, improve legislation and demand enforcement.