The USW Wood Council was formed in a merger when the Executive of the IWA selected the United Steelworkers and negotiated a merger that took effect on September 1, 2004. A critical part of the merger negotiations was the creation of the Steelworkers – IWA Council, representing and coordinating the interests of the former IWA local unions in the areas of safety and health, collective bargaining, organizing and political action. By 2006 the IWA Council adopted the moniker "Wood Council."
- 4 September 2012 Out Front This Week USW Calls For Action On Safety Failures; Western Forest Products, West Fraser Profitable; Local 1-405 Members Hold Off On Strike
- 7 August 2012 Out Front This Week Canfor Pulp CEO Steps Down; Western Forest Products Appoints New President; Local 1-405 Members Poised To Go On Strike
- 8 April 2012 Out Front This Week Steelworkers Take Raw-Log Concerns to Port Alberni; West Fraser Top Lumber Producer in 2011; February Housing Starts Are Down
- 31 October 2012 Hazard Alert 2012-07 Combustible dust winter alert - increased risk in winter
- 31 October 2012 Hazard Alert 2012-08 Hazard Alert - Gear Reducer Hazard
- 15 May 2012 Update on Sawdust in BC Mills Yesterday WorkSafe communicated they had discovered a similarity with respect to the Burns Lake and Prince George Sawmill catastrophes.
- 26 February 2013 | YouTube Why On Earth A Wood House? Video telling about the world's best building material... which is wood of course.
- 28 April 2010 | YouTube Steelworkers - In It For Life 2010 National Policy Conference: Documenting the USW’s well-earned reputation as the health and safety union and our never-ending battle to protect workers, improve legislation and demand enforcement.