The USW Wood Council was formed in a merger when the Executive of the IWA selected the United Steelworkers and negotiated a merger that took effect on September 1, 2004. A critical part of the merger negotiations was the creation of the Steelworkers – IWA Council, representing and coordinating the interests of the former IWA local unions in the areas of safety and health, collective bargaining, organizing and political action. By 2006 the IWA Council adopted the moniker "Wood Council."
- 4 September 2012 Out Front This Week USW Calls For Action On Safety Failures; Western Forest Products, West Fraser Profitable; Local 1-405 Members Hold Off On Strike
- 7 August 2012 Out Front This Week Canfor Pulp CEO Steps Down; Western Forest Products Appoints New President; Local 1-405 Members Poised To Go On Strike
- 8 April 2012 Out Front This Week Steelworkers Take Raw-Log Concerns to Port Alberni; West Fraser Top Lumber Producer in 2011; February Housing Starts Are Down
- 5 March 2014 | Media Release WorkSafeBC Must Act to Protect Sawmill Workers: United Steelworkers WorkSafeBC must take immediate action to protect the safety of sawmill workers, says the United Steelworkers.
- 24 February 2014 Crown Counsel Must Stand Up For Worker Safety: United Steelworkers WorkSafeBC's announcement that it is recommending charges under the Workers Compensation Act in connection to the Lakeland Mills explosion puts the onus on Crown Counsel to stand up for worker safety, says the United Steelworkers (USW).
- 13 February 2014 Clark Review of Burns Lake Sawmill Explosion Investigation Raises More Questions than it Answers: Steelworkers The United Steelworkers (USW) are expressing their disappointment in the provincial governments review of the Burns Lake Sawmill explosion that it believes is inadequate, incomplete and provides no comfort to workers.
- 26 February 2013 | YouTube Why On Earth A Wood House? Video telling about the world's best building material... which is wood of course.
- 28 April 2010 | YouTube Steelworkers - In It For Life 2010 National Policy Conference: Documenting the USW’s well-earned reputation as the health and safety union and our never-ending battle to protect workers, improve legislation and demand enforcement.