The USW Wood Council was formed in a merger when the Executive of the IWA selected the United Steelworkers and negotiated a merger that took effect on September 1, 2004. A critical part of the merger negotiations was the creation of the Steelworkers – IWA Council, representing and coordinating the interests of the former IWA local unions in the areas of safety and health, collective bargaining, organizing and political action. By 2006 the IWA Council adopted the moniker "Wood Council."
- 4 September 2012 Out Front This Week USW Calls For Action On Safety Failures; Western Forest Products, West Fraser Profitable; Local 1-405 Members Hold Off On Strike
- 7 August 2012 Out Front This Week Canfor Pulp CEO Steps Down; Western Forest Products Appoints New President; Local 1-405 Members Poised To Go On Strike
- 8 April 2012 Out Front This Week Steelworkers Take Raw-Log Concerns to Port Alberni; West Fraser Top Lumber Producer in 2011; February Housing Starts Are Down
- 17 March 2014 | The Castlegar Source Interfor Workers in Castlegar/Grand Forks Ratify Five-Year Deal A meeting in Castlegar Monday saw Interfor workers vote overwhelmingly in favour of a new five-year deal, according to a press release issued this morning.
- 10 March 2014 | The Prince George Citizen Condolences will never be enough More than two years have passed since an explosion at Babine Lake Sawmill in Burns Lake killed two workers and injured 20 others.
- 5 March 2014 | Media Release WorkSafeBC Must Act to Protect Sawmill Workers: United Steelworkers WorkSafeBC must take immediate action to protect the safety of sawmill workers, says the United Steelworkers.
- 26 February 2013 | YouTube Why On Earth A Wood House? Video telling about the world's best building material... which is wood of course.
- 28 April 2010 | YouTube Steelworkers - In It For Life 2010 National Policy Conference: Documenting the USW’s well-earned reputation as the health and safety union and our never-ending battle to protect workers, improve legislation and demand enforcement.