The USW Wood Council was formed in a merger when the Executive of the IWA selected the United Steelworkers and negotiated a merger that took effect on September 1, 2004. A critical part of the merger negotiations was the creation of the Steelworkers – IWA Council, representing and coordinating the interests of the former IWA local unions in the areas of safety and health, collective bargaining, organizing and political action. By 2006 the IWA Council adopted the moniker "Wood Council."
- 4 September 2012 Out Front This Week USW Calls For Action On Safety Failures; Western Forest Products, West Fraser Profitable; Local 1-405 Members Hold Off On Strike
- 7 August 2012 Out Front This Week Canfor Pulp CEO Steps Down; Western Forest Products Appoints New President; Local 1-405 Members Poised To Go On Strike
- 8 April 2012 Out Front This Week Steelworkers Take Raw-Log Concerns to Port Alberni; West Fraser Top Lumber Producer in 2011; February Housing Starts Are Down
- 1 May 2014 Press Release - USW Local 1-1937 The Officers, Staff and Executive Board of USW Local 1-1937 are shocked by the tragic shooting of four people at Western Forest Products' Nanaimo Sawmill, two of which have succumbed to their injuries.
- 30 April 2014 USW Statement on Western Forest Products Tragedy in Nanaimo "On behalf of United Steelworkers members across the country, Director Stephen Hunt and I extend our deepest condolences to the families, friends and co-workers of the two workers killed and the two workers seriously injured at Western Forest Products today in Nanaimo, B.C.," said Ken Neumann, USW National Director.
- 29 April 2014 Day of Mourning Ceremonies Highlight Stop the Killing Campaign; City of Port Alberni Adds Support The United Steelworkers’ Stop the Killing, Enforce the Law campaign took centre stage as Canadians from coast to coast paused to remember workers who were killed or injured on job.
- 26 February 2013 | YouTube Why On Earth A Wood House? Video telling about the world's best building material... which is wood of course.
- 28 April 2010 | YouTube Steelworkers - In It For Life 2010 National Policy Conference: Documenting the USW’s well-earned reputation as the health and safety union and our never-ending battle to protect workers, improve legislation and demand enforcement.