The USW Wood Council was formed in a merger when the Executive of the IWA selected the United Steelworkers and negotiated a merger that took effect on September 1, 2004. A critical part of the merger negotiations was the creation of the Steelworkers – IWA Council, representing and coordinating the interests of the former IWA local unions in the areas of safety and health, collective bargaining, organizing and political action. By 2006 the IWA Council adopted the moniker "Wood Council."
- 7 May 2015 Wood Council Update USW Wood Council Chair Bob Matters and Local 1-424 President Frank Everitt delivered a strong message to the Provincial Government in meetings last week in Victoria: the Softwood Lumber Agreement (SLA) is not working for workers or communities.
- 4 September 2012 Out Front This Week USW Calls For Action On Safety Failures; Western Forest Products, West Fraser Profitable; Local 1-405 Members Hold Off On Strike
- 7 August 2012 Out Front This Week Canfor Pulp CEO Steps Down; Western Forest Products Appoints New President; Local 1-405 Members Poised To Go On Strike
- 15 May 2015 | The Vancouver Sun Prince George Mill Explosion Inquest Calls for Review of Law on Criminal Negligence Ottawa should consider making it easier to prosecute cases of criminal negligence in the workplace, jurors recommended late Thursday after a coroner’s inquest into the fatal Lakeland Mills explosion in 2012.
- 2 March 2015 Former WorkSafeBC Head not slated to testify at Coroner’s Inquest Two of the former top guns at WorkSafeBC are not scheduled to testify at a coroner’s inquest into the Lakeland Mills sawmill explosion that killed two workers in 2012.
- 22 January 2015 | Courier-Islander Campbell River Chances workers back to work with pay increase, signing bonus Workers at Chances in Campbell River are going back to work.
- 14 April 2015 Wood Workers Gone Wild Wood Workers Gone Wild
- 26 February 2013 | YouTube Why On Earth A Wood House? Video telling about the world's best building material... which is wood of course.
- 28 April 2010 | YouTube Steelworkers - In It For Life 2010 National Policy Conference: Documenting the USW’s well-earned reputation as the health and safety union and our never-ending battle to protect workers, improve legislation and demand enforcement.