Wednesday, August 22: Celebrate Jack's Life and Vision
One year after Jack Layton's passing, his message of love, hope and optimism will once again fill Nathan Phillips Square in Toronto and at venues across the country in celebration of Jack's life and the unforgettable mark he left on Canada.
On Wednesday, August 22, Steelworkers are invited to join the Layton family and the Broadbent Institute in remembering Jack with music, words, images and messages from Canadians.
If you are unable to attend, please leave a personal message online at DearJack.ca. A selection of contributions will be featured.
Featured Artists at the Toronto DearJack event include:
- Jason Collett of Broken Social Scene
- Ron Sexsmith, Juno-award winning singer-songwriter
- Raffi, children's entertainer and advocate
- Lorraine Segato, singer-songwriter, Parachute Club co-founder
- Richard Underhill, saxophonist, Shuffle Demons co-founder
- Eric Peterson, actor, co-star of Corner Gas
- Chalkmaster Dave, street artist who'll create a tribute to Jack
- Wendy Crewson, actor and producer
- And more surprise artists...
The USW encourages you to get involved and help promote DearJack.ca. Here's what you can do:
- Visit DearJack.ca and share what Jack meant to you
- Like the Dear Jack Facebook page
- Tweet #DearJack messages on Twitter
- Join us at Dear Jack celebrations across Canada
A message from USW National Director Ken Neumann
A year ago on August 22, we lost my dear friend Jack Layton to cancer. He meant so much to me and to so many of us, and his passing brought out an incredible outpouring of grief and affection.
Jack asked us to be loving, hopeful and optimistic. Now, a year later, Jack's family, along with the Broadbent Institute, are giving us a chance to share what Jack meant to us, and what each of us want to do to honour him and renew our commitment to his dream.
The website, DearJack.ca, is a place for all of us to share with each other how we are carrying on Jack's work and express our thoughts about his life.
Jack shared a special bond with the United Steelworkers. I invite all Steelworkers to join me in placing a personal message on DearJack.ca. Go online and share how Jack inspired you and continues to inspire all of us.
Here is the message I posted:
Dear Jack, While I have lost a dear personal friend, you have given me more than I'll ever know. Your ever-present commitment to social justice and equality guides me everyday. Thank you for the guidance, friendship and eternal optimism and I promise to carry your dream forward.
– Ken Neumann