About Blue Green Canada
Good Jobs, a Clean Environment, a Safer World
Blue Green Canada is an alliance between Canadian labour unions and environmental and civil society organizations to advocate for working people and the environment by promoting solutions to environmental issues that have positive impacts on employment and the economy.
The alliance is based upon the realization that a future sustainable economy must provide good jobs and protect the environment, not one or the other.
Blue Green Canada was formed in 2008 by a strategic alliance between the United Steelworkers and Environmental Defence, but now includes the Communications, Energy and Paper Workers Union of Canada (CEP), the Columbia Institute, the Pembina Institute and Tides Canada.
Blue Green Canada is finding solutions:
- Encouraging all levels of government to invest in clean renewable energy and good green jobs.
- Organizing for local procurement standards to create markets for local suppliers.
- Building partnerships with community members to support the transition to a greener economy.
"The USW has a longstanding commitment to the protection of the environment. With Blue Green Canada, we are working to rebuild our economy based on principles of environmental sustainability that will result in good green jobs."
– Ken Neumann, USW National Director
"Through Blue Green Canada we are pushing for the adoption of a green energy path by all levels of government that will result in permanent high-quality jobs for working people."
– Rick Smith, Environmental Defence Executive Director