Video: Occupy Toronto & Steelworker flash mob – BMO help end the Infinity Rubber strike!
13 February 2012 – The United Steelworkers (USW) and Occupy Toronto join forces to highlight the Bank of Montreal's role in prolonging one of the longest strikes in Toronto history.
The flash mob of dozens of demonstrators, including more than 25 Occupy Toronto dancers and singers, showed up at the main Bank of Montreal branch at King and Bay on Feb. 13 to challenge BMO to help end the 27-month strike at Infinity Rubber.
Background: USW Fighting Back Against Infinity Rubber
Infinity Rubber provoked a strike at its Toronto plant in December 2009 when it demanded workers accept a 25% cut in wages and a 50% cut in benefits. Members of USW Local 526L have walked the picket line every day for over two years, while replacement workers do their jobs and Infinity refuses all attempts to reach a fair compromise. Despite the operations's troubled financial history and the ongoing strike, the workers were shocked to learn that the Bank of Montreal has given the Infinity Rubber group brand new financing. The USW believes that BMO's financial support of this employer is directly responsible for prolonging the dispute. Find out how BMO is bankrolling this attack on workers and how you can help end this strike.
Video: BMO Bankrolls Attack on Workers at Infinity Rubber–USW Fights Back
Take Action – Help End the Unfairness at Infinity Rubber
Support striking USW members and take action to help end the Infinity Rubber strike.
Write a Letter to Infinity CEO James Chung
- Ask Infinity CEO James Chung to get back to the table to bargain a fair deal. We'll collect your letters and deliver them to the CEO, so please show your support by sending an email.
The Steelworkers are mounting a campaign to publicize BMO's financial support of Infinity Rubber with a low-interest loan despite the fact Infinity's current management led its predecessor company into bankruptcy, leaving millions in unpaid bills.
Visit the Picket Line!
- Show your solidarity with USW Local 526 members by visiting their picket line. Call 416-544-5965.
Thank you for your support.
Photos & Videos
- 12 March 2012 Video (on CBC's Lang & O'Leary Exchange) Wayne Fraser on BMO's role in prolonging Infinity Rubber strike (March 12th show, starting at 49:05)
- 13 February 2012 Video Occupy Toronto and Steelworker Flash Mob: BMO Help End Infinity Rubber Strike
- 13 February 2012 Photo Gallery USW/Occupy Flash Mob Asks BMO to Help End Strike at Infinity Rubber
- 27 January 2012 Video BMO Bankrolls Attack on Workers at Infinity Rubber: USW Fights Back
- 30 November 2011 Photo Gallery USW, Ontario Federation of Labour delegates and Occupy Toronto activists rally outside BMO
- Striking Worker Fernando Silva speaking at 27 October 2011 Rally Outside BMO
- USW Staff Rep Myles Sullivan speaking at 27 October 2011 Rally Outside BMO
Banners and Graphics
Related Articles and Media Releases
- 20 March 2012 Chronicle Herald Striking Ontario Steelworkers Picket BMO Shareholder Meeting
- 8 March 2012 Media Release Steelworkers Pull Out of BMO, Advocate Others Do the Same
- 13 February 2012 Media Release Steelworkers/Occupy Toronto Flash Mob Highlights BMO's Role in 2-Year Strike
- 27 January 2012 Media Release Steelworkers to BMO Board: Why Are You Bankrolling an Attack on Workers?
- 22 December 2011 Rubber World USW letter warns Infinity Rubber suppliers
- 21 December 2011 Rubber & Plastics News USW writes Infinity Rubber suppliers about land transfer
- 20 December 2011 Media Release Steelworkers to Suppliers of Infinity Rubber: Exercise Caution
- 2 December 2011 InsideToronto.com Strike Reaches Two-Year Mark
- 31 October 2011 Rubber & Plastics News USW Takes on Bank in Infinity Strike
- 28 October 2011 rabble.ca Postal workers occupy TD Bank on Bay Street
- 27 October 2011 Media Release Labour, Occupy Toronto Rally Outside BMO
- 25 October 2011 Media Release Labour Leaders Condemn BMO's Financing of Infinity Rubber
- 13 October 2011 Media Release Steelworkers Escalate Campaign Against BMO
- 29 September 2011 CBC Radio Still On Strike
- 30 August 2011 rabble.ca Steelworkers Target BMO for Loan to 'Anti-Union' Company
- 29 August 2011 Media Release Steelworkers Campaign Exposes BMO's Financing of Union-Busting Company
- 27 July 2011 Media Release Steelworkers Release Video on 20-Month Infinity Rubber Strike
- 22 July 2011 Toronto Star Rubber Workers Turn Up Heat on 20-Month Strike
- 19 July 2011 Media Release: Steelworkers Launch Campaign to Fight Back Against Infinity Rubber
- 18 July 2011 USW YouTube Video: USW Fighting Back Against Infinity Rubber
- 15 April 2011 News@Six: Labour Law Reform Now!
- 10 September 2010 Torontoist: Infinite Strike