CNO Education Department Support Staff position – 234 Eglinton Avenue East
There is a vacancy for a full-time bilingual support staff at the United Steelworkers Canadian National Office in Toronto, Ontario effective immediately. The successful applicant will be assigned to the CNO’s Education & Equality Department. Hours of work for this position are 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, or can be adjusted by mutual agreement to within 8:00 am-6:00 pm, with an hour for lunch.
The successful applicant must be fluently bilingual (speaking, reading, writing) in English and French, with excellent written language skills in both languages.
The successful applicant must have:
- Excellent Microsoft Office computer skills
- Word (including tables, mail merges, styles, tracking, formatting)
- Excel (including creating and editing spreadsheets, researching formatting issues and formulas, troubleshooting)
- PowerPoint (including formatting, editing, troubleshooting)
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, and the proven ability to follow complex instructions and work to deadlines
We will also consider the following qualifications to be assets when selecting the successful applicant:
- Experience with: setting up Zoom meetings & webinars, using database software such as Microsoft Access, or similar and with posting to websites
- Proofreading certification, or experience with proofreading and/or copy-editing in English and French
- Experience with layout/design software
- Experience in the labour movement, and/or commitment to or interest in human rights and equity issues
Core duties of the Education & Equality Support staff include, but are not limited to:
The successful applicant must have a pleasant and welcoming personality, and respond positively to members, callers and visitors at the office. They must demonstrate a high level of accuracy and ability to prioritize. We require a willingness and ability to discuss, evaluate, initiate, review and revise procedures in a professional manner. The successful applicant must be able to handle relief receptionist duties in an effective and tactful manner, and to ensure security and protocol routines are adhered to. Department support staff are expected to use initiative and organizational skills to help ensure the smooth running of the department.
As an equal opportunity employer, we encourage applications from members of equality-seeking groups, including Black, Indigenous and workers of colour, women, persons with disabilities and members of the LGBTQ2SIA+ community.
This position is a bargaining unit position covered by the collective agreement between USW and COPE 343, with a starting rate of $ 53,961.36 to a top rate of $ 70,159.60, plus a 3% bilingual premium, and the opportunity to increase salary by up to 12% by successfully completing Microsoft and other job-specific training though the union’s Pay for Knowledge program. In addition, the successful applicant will receive a generous benefits and pension package.
Candidates should submit their application and resumé by Monday, September 26, 2022 to: Alexandra Eshelman, Administrative Assistant to the National Director, by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to United Steelworkers, 800-234 Eglinton Avenue East, Toronto, Ontario M4P 1K7.
All applications will be kept confidential. We thank all who apply, but only applicants who are selected for an interview will be contacted. Any moving costs are the responsibility of the successful applicant.