The United Steelworkers Communications and Political Action Department is seeking a permanent part-time bilingual legislative assistant in Ottawa, effective immediately. The position is for 17.5 hours per week, to be worked over the course of three days each week.
The successful applicant must be fluently bilingual (speaking, reading, writing) in English and French, and must have excellent Microsoft Office skills (Word, Excel, Access, Outlook). Intermediate to advanced skills in Excel preferred. Knowledge of unions, the labour movement, the legislative process and political experience a very strong asset.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
• setting up meetings as necessary with Members of Parliament
• greeting visitors and directing them as appropriate
• answering the phone, directing calls as requested and/or appropriate, assisting callers with information
• paying bills directly and/or in conjunction with the National Office
• maintaining office supplies
• dealing with suppliers
• writing, editing and proofreading correspondence
• website updating
• preparing and updating directories and databases of parliamentarians and staff
• accessing databases and exporting information for our records
• maintaining and updating documents
• helping rank-and-file lobbyists with materials, contacts and meeting set-ups
• updating Ontario and federal lobbyist registration monthly
• providing assistance and taking direction as required from the Legislative Representative, the Communications and Political Action Department Leader or other departmental staff, as needed
• liaising with building management and maintenance at 280 Albert Street
USW is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from members of equality seeking groups, including women, people of colour, Aboriginal people, people with disabilities, as well as members of the 2SLGBTQIA+ community.
This position is a bargaining unit position covered by the collective agreement between USW and COPE 343, with a starting rate of $ 27,790.10 plus a 3% bilingual premium, and a generous benefits and pension package.
Share on Facebook
Candidates should submit their cover letter and CV by September 22, 2023 to: Alexandra Eshelman, Administrative Assistant, United Steelworkers, by mail at 800-234 Eglinton Avenue East, Toronto, Ontario M4P 1K7, or by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org All applications will be kept confidential. Only applicants to be interviewed will be contacted.